Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Like The Birds

Today I hit a bird with my car.

He didn't make it.

Before today, I was fairly certain birds always flew out of the way when a car was coming towards them.

Traveling at 55mph in the middle of three full lanes of traffic, I didn't really have any other option when he refused to move quick enough.

And what did this poor thing die for?

Garbage.

For real.

He refused to fly away and leave behind the bit of garbage on the road... and he died for it.

The bird and I, we live in South Florida.  Something is always in bloom or ripe here and thanks to the city planners, there are trees and bushes everywhere.  (Like for real everywhere, you can't even make out street signs because of all the shrubbery.)

Instead of going after what is relatively easy and good food, this bird chose to venture onto the road, cheat death... for garbage.  And today, it cost him his life.

Which got me thinking.

How often do I pursue garbage?  Why am I, just like this bird, willing to risk it all for garbage when there's life giving fruit two feet away?

No comments:

Post a Comment